The Senior Payroll ? HR Clerk handles all payroll related functions of a company or organization. This includes processing payroll, taxation forms and benefits, as well as maintaining employee data, handling payroll questions and completing any other tasks necessary for monitoring and overseeing a company?s payroll process. The Senior Payroll - HR Clerk is the hands-on representative of the Payroll - Human Resources department whose job is to help facilitate all basic human Resources functions. The Senior Payroll - HR Clerk multitasks through actively participating in the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention; addressing employee matters and organizing work activities for the Company. This position is responsible for preparing and coordinating any functions pertaining to employment, compensation, labor negotiations and employee relations. The Senior Payroll - HR Clerk plays an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to the Executive Staff.
Essential Job Duties ? Payroll: include the following and any other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel or other members of the Executive Staff:
- Maintain all employee records in payroll and direct deposit systems (includes: new hires, separations, wage rates changes, premium deductions, 401k changes, etc.).
- Prepares and processes hourly, commissioned and salaried payrolls for the applicable weekly or bi-weekly pay periods.
- Analyzes time entry date for accuracy; reports to any discrepancy to the General Counsel or to another member of the Executive Staff if the General Counsel is unavailable.
- Makes changes as needed to time entry data, if authorized by a member of the Executive Staff.
- Enters new hires and employee changes voluntary deductions in the payroll system.
- Follows up with employees regarding payroll issues and or questions; serves as employee contact and resource regarding timekeeping records, paychecks and benefit eligibility related questions.
- Processes manual checks, if authorized by a member of the Executive Staff, such as terminations and discrepancies.
- Ensures the correct calculation and remittance of court ordered garnishments and support payments.
- Completes wage verifications as requested by governmental agencies and other parties.
- Calculates new hire pay, termination pay and any required adjustment to normal pay.
- Processes stop payments or adjustments of payroll.
- Calculates bonuses as requested by the Executive Staff.
- Ensures that computing, withholding, and deductions are done correctly.
- Prepares payroll reports, audits and any other required payroll documentation.
- Assists the Controller and/or Bookkeeper by providing information necessary in filing of appropriate quarterly payroll taxes; assists with preparation and distribution of annual W2s.
- Ensures PTO for all employees is calculated correctly.
- Maintains appropriate payroll and tax records as required by law.
- Handles basic administrative payroll duties including data entry, filing and faxing
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related duties as needed.
Essential Job Duties ? Human Resources: include the following and any other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel or other members of the Executive Staff:
- Uses HRIS software (Paylocity or other internet-based system) to prepare and maintain records of employee hiring, promotion, transfers and/or termination
- Helps in developing, implementing, supporting and reviewing all Human Resource Department initiatives, policies, procedures, and systems.
- Explains human resources policies, procedures, laws and standards to new and existing employees.
- Ensures new hire paperwork is completed and processed.
- Assists the General Counsel in addressing any employment relations issues, such as work complaints and harassment allegations.
- Processes all personnel action forms and ensures proper approval.
- Manages applicants/candidates through an Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
- Conducts short pre-screening interviews with all applicants to determine suitability for employment.
- Coordinates the interview process with hiring managers
- Conducts criminal background, reference and MVR checks
- Completes new hire forms and inputs into the appropriate systems
- Receives and screen visitors and telephone calls.
- Prepares HR reports, audits and any other required HR documentation.
- Coordinates and facilitates annual enrollment in the Company?s health benefit program and semi-enrollment in the Company?s 401(k) program.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Meets cost standards by monitoring expenses; implementing cost-saving actions.
- Knows the formal and informal goals, standards, policies and procedures which may include some familiarity of other departments and is sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within the organization.
- Complies with all relevant safety rules, procedures and guidelines, and be aware of responsibilities under the safety policy.
- Manages and mitigate risks and resolve and escalate issues as required.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Understands and adheres to established Company policies and procedures and legal requirements.
- Knowledge of payroll systems and processing of payroll.
- Practicable familiarity with utilization of Paylocity or similar Internet based payroll system.
- Strong data entry skills (10-key); keyboarding and computer skills to include MS Office (Word and * Excel).
- Knowledge of HRIS systems.
- Knowledge of human resources functions.
- Knowledge of payroll, human resources and benefit processes and regulations, including but not limited to FLSA, ERISA, and payroll tax requirements; knowledge of wage and hour laws.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to take initiative and follow through.
- Strong mathematical abilities, with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, able to critically evaluate ideas and information.
- Strong applicant tracking system knowledge.
- Perceptive nature, careful monitoring of working conditions to ensure legal compliance.
- Knowledge of HIPAA privacy and security rules and regulations.
- Ability to abide by ethical guidelines and policies, including strict adherence to strict confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative, with the ability to manage self and workload.
- Exemplary customer service focus, for both internal and external clients.
- Ability to organize, establish priorities, multitask, work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
- Ability to problem solve, use good judgement, accuracy, and make logical decisions.
- Understanding of human resource reporting and recordkeeping requirements.
- Effective team player.
- Displays professionalism and represents organization in a professional manner.
- Effective written and verbal communication with good presentation skills.
- Able to embrace change and make improvements to working practices.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree from an accredited college or university in Human Resources, Accounting or Business Administration and three (3) years of experience with payroll processing
Five (5) years? experience with payroll processing.
- Valid Driver?s License.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is largely a sedentary role, with frequent sitting and computer keyboarding required.
- The employee is frequently required to talk and hear
- The employee might be required to perform some lifting (up to 30 pounds), stooping and bending are also required.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 /year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- Payroll: 5 years (Required)
- Human Resources: 5 years (Required)
- Associate (Required)