Senior Optical Engineer
Edmund Optics, an industry leader in the design, manufacturing, and sale of precision optics and optical components for over 75 years is hiring! As a global, family-owned company, employees are key to our success. Our culture is at the heart of everything we do, and the company's Core Values demonstrate our commitment to act as one family, do what is best for the customer, drive innovation through continuous improvement, and to be proud of what we do. As we work to continue to be technological leaders in the industry, we seek those who are prepared to learn, engage, grow, and enable the future through optics.
A Sr. Optical Engineer has an Optics or Physics Engineering background and has demonstrated skill and initiative to solve technical problems and organize projects and work in their assigned area. The Optical Engineer is self-directed and can work independently.
- Design, develop, build, and test optical components, systems, and products
- Hands-on integration and collaboration with multiple disciplines such as software, electrical, and mechanical engineering
- Develop optical performance system tests and test devices
- Assist in the evaluation and feasibility study of new designs
- Evaluate and troubleshoot opto-mechanical assemblies, or optical\ Mechanical fabrication processes
- Develop assembly, fabrication, and test procedures
- Organize and follow through on assigned projects in an independent manner, including project schedule
- Mentor new hires and transfer knowledge
- Interfaces with external and internal customer for spec development on projects and technology transfer
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills &
- Read and understand assembly drawings, blue prints, work orders and work instructions
- Intermediate/advanced mechanical skills
- Intermediate/advanced computer skills
- Competent with optical design and optimization software such as Zemax
- Competent with mechanical design software such as SolidWorks
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative environment and fast-growing team
- Innovative, self-motivated with a "
- May be required to use machining equipment and power tools to modify parts or equipment
B.S. Degree in Optical Engineering or Physics and/or 20+ years optical assembly\ Test experience.
Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
ability to travel;
work in office setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company's changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer's sole discretion.