Manager Facility Engineering
BUILDING P - IAD041
The Manager-Facility Engineering is the technical lead for all data center engineering operations at one or more facilities and is responsible for the direct supervision of facility and data center engineers. He/she reports directly to the Data Center Manager and is responsible for the review/approval/implementation of SOPs/MOPs/EOPs for the site and the proper implementation and training of these procedures. The Manager-Facility Engineering responsibilities include oversight of general facility operations, and will work in conjunction with the site remote hands, security, and janitorial teams. The Manager-Facility Engineering will have experience in data center mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. He/she will possess knowledge of large scale data centers, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems. In addition, the Manager-Facility Engineering will be accountable for the coordination and completion of all significant planned and emergency maintenance events for the facility and confirm these activities are executed in a controlled and proven method to ensure the reliability of the critical loads supported by these systems. The Manager-Facility Engineering is ultimately responsible for identifying, evaluating, and executing operational strategies with the local site engineers to achieve the highest level of availability.
- 5 years related facility management experience in Data Center operations (or related electrical or mechanical engineering field) managing or leading data center operations teams in a large scale mission critical environment. Bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering is preferred.
- Solid and proven experience in the construction, commissioning, acceptance and operation of mission critical systems, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, HVAC systems, chillers, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems
- Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS, Failover Scenarios)
- Proficient in reading/understanding MEP drawings.
- Knowledge of structured cabling systems, networking and connectivity standards, and hardware installation requirements (preferred)
- Proficiency in colocation operations, including the installation and deployment of cage, rack and cable infrastructure, as well as, power circuit installation and power monitoring (preferred)
- Ability to evaluate the 3rd party vendor work for quality control, communicate and schedule vendors, and review and improve vendor scope and procedure of work to meet Digital Realty's standards of operation
- Strong knowledge of PLC theory and functionality.
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals and the ability to recommend energy efficiency improvements.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills. Ability to respond effectively, verbally in writing to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Detail Oriented with strong organizational skills
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Visio or AutoCad
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
- Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems
- Ability to evaluate the 3rd party vendor work for quality control, communicate and schedule vendors, and review and improve vendor scope and procedure of work to meet Digital Realty's standards of operation.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
- Experience assisting with budget management and expense analysis.
- Ability to conduct meetings/presentations/trainings in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated management ability in supervision, coaching, prioritization, conflict resolution, and organization.
- Demonstrated strong leadership qualities
Meets physical demands of the position including:
- Lift and handle up to 50 pounds
- Bend, stoop, and stretch as required for placement and retrieval of network devices, materials, or equipment
- Work under a raised data center floor
- Climb ladders (up to 16 feet) to reach plenum spaces
Keys to Success
- Achieve Five 9's of Availability for all data center operations
- No human error and/or customer impacting events
- 100% compliance with all customer SLAs
- 100% compliance to all standard operating procedures
- Internal &
external customer communication and relationships maintained to highest standard
- 100% compliance with internal escalation protocols for all customer impacting events pursuant to Digital Realty's escalation standards
- 100% compliance with all health &
- 100% compliance with Digital Realty's critical stock &
- 100% compliance with Digital Realty's internal quality assurance and assessment programs as well as the various accreditation initiatives undertaken by Digital Realty, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc.
- Creation/execution/closure/storage of change management tickets, MOPs, and Incident reporting and meeting timelines associated with those tickets
- Ensure proper training and onboarding for all site Engineers is completes and documented.
- Complete understanding of the following DLR and site related items:
- Facility layout and operation of MEP systems and the ability to illustrate site specific system one-lines.
- Equipment nomenclature standards and equipment locations
- Facility drawings and equipment specifications for standard and non-standard assets
- Equipment sequence of operations (SOO's), standard operating procedures (SOP's), and emergency operating procedures (EOP's).
- Customer SLA's and engineering specific lease obligations critical to data center operations.
- All facility EOPS.
- BMS alarm functionality, alarm escalation/acknowledgement, and ability to extract data and trends
- DLR event management, event escalation, and incident reporting procedures
- Execution of root cause analysis following an event along with the creation of a customer facing executive summary
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), including the ability to create, edit, implement, and close change management work orders.
- Create/edit/resolve/close incident reports following a site incident
- Maintenance and Operations Standards, scheduling vendors and internal labor to support work efforts at the site.
- Digital Realty's Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety standards
- Execute all aspects of data center engineering including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Supervises all MEP construction activity and installations, in coordination with internal and external construction resources, to ensure system design, installation and testing adhere to operational standards. Witness testing of all equipment during commissioning and validate sequence of operations and receipt of all operational documentation.
- Develop and supervise local engineering team to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to guarantee execution of Digital Realty's periodic maintenance program and maintenance calendar and to ensure labor cost are closely monitored and controlled, and personnel efficiency is enforced.
- Executor in the site specific change management processes including the creation and review of all Method of Procedures (MOPs) for all risk level maintenance and repairs including high risk and non-standard procedures as well as the oversight of those maintenances.
- Executor of walk-throughs for high risk critical transferring and to act as a resource for staff questions/confusion regarding any facility related issue.
- Advanced ability to effectively troubleshoot site mechanical and electrical systems.
- Manage technical and operational incidents at the property, including the implementation of emergency response procedures, resource coordination, customer communication, root-cause analysis and post event remediation.
- Review rounds/inspections for normal operation, trends, and to detect anomalies in those rounds.
- Identify trends and analyze risks. Articulate implications and impact to data center operations. Track operational metrics and other data to provide Senior Management oversight and control for both snapshot data and long-term trend analysis.
- Develop, evaluate, and recommend improvements to complex equipment and system SOO's, SOP's, MOP's, and EOP's when possible.
- Complete understanding and knowledge of the local customers business and datacenter operation.
- Identify process based improvements that generate operational and financial efficiencies including the development and presentation of the business case.
- Support Real Estate Manager with the management of expenses and assist with budgeting, forecasting and reporting requirements by providing capital expense requirements and justifications.
- Support Real Estate Management team by assisting in the supervision of general facility services, including, but not limited to janitorial services, landscaping, and snow removal services to ensure compliance with contractual requirements.
- Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by Digital Realty.
- Maintain compliance with local health &
safety (i.E. OSHA) standards and national electrical and building codes.
- Responsible for maintaining and tracking site spare parts inventory, including maintenance parts and materials that may not be stored at the site but would be required periodically for site specific maintenances.
this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data
center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth
through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines
unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create
unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud,
powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day-above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and
About Digital Realty
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 2,000 firms across its secure,
network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's
clients include companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to
manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE:
DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes
and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will
not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability or protected veteran status.
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not
responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.